-->

Saturday 21 March 2015

THE BIG TWO ZERO







On the 3rd of the 3rd I turned 20. Adult, officially ... (apparently.) So I have decided to write about my transition from teenie weenie teenager in to fully fledged, responsible, adult. You can apply inverted commas if you like. 


Do I feel like an adult? No. 

I still have the attention span of a fish and the humor of a naughty school girl who sits at the back of the class and giggles a lot but ... I do feel different. Maybe it's placebo effect  but I feel like this is a turning point in my life. I'm letting go of a lot of old drama and baggage.



Over your teenage years you meet a lot of people, I've had a lot of friends. I've had different groups of close friends throughout high school, college, etc but I think the key thing I've learned about being 19-20 is that the friends you meet now, they'll be your friends for life. I used to have big groups of pals/cliches, and for one reason or another we all drifted. I think in your 20's you'll have a smaller group of friends instead of trying to be friends with everyone but they'll ultimately be better quality friendships.

 The group of friends I have now I think I will know in 5 years - 10 years and we'll see each other married and having kids. I'll have no hesitations in filling in their husbands of what they're like now and telling their kids all our adventures ... obviously I'll be the cool single friend. 


MY 3 BEST FRIENDS-NEW YEAR 2014/15.


I think your teens are about finding yourself. I don't know about you but I went through that awkward ugly stage - kids these days seem to be skipping it, I don't know how but it definitely isn't fair. I wore pink eye shadow, wore neon clothes and was a little bit fat. I did my time. The kids these days are so much cooler.  

As lame as "finding yourself" sounds, I think it means just finding what you're comfortable with. I remember all this mumbo-jumbo crap I used to sit and cry about at about 15 like "I don't know who I am" "I don't know what I want to do" yadda yadda yadda - In the end I just went out and got drunk and had a good time but in the process I think I was chav, goth, emo, scene, indie, then I found boys (or girls - or both - if that's what floats your boat) like every kid does and well every girl has their own version of this story but thinking you're in love for the first time at the grand age of 15 it never ends well does it? 






Your first heart break. That's a lesson learned that you'll never forget. I could probably hunt my old diaries out and read about mine but do I want to? weelllllll .... All I'll say is, I definitely wasn't in love. But it was puppy love. Everyone has a puppy love. They're cute, it's probably one of the most significant times of your teens I'd say. 

MY WONDERFUL, 15 YEAR OLD, HEART SHAPE EYED ARTISTRY.

Then there's family. Family is a fun one growing up. That's why you need friends. I found the two often cause a lot of collisions. EXAMPLE: You want to do what your friends are doing but your family don't want you to do ALL the things your friends are doing because obviously they're older and wiser and they've done the things your friends are doing and they know more about everything than you do but do we believe them? no. I only believe my parents were right about a lot of things now. 

I think you have to make mistakes. I wouldn't change any of my mistakes. I've learned from them all! You might make the same mistake 47 different times but EVENTUALLY you'll learn. Well, hopefully. 



TOP TEN COMMON LIFE MISTAKES AS A TEENAGER:
  • Chasing a boy/girl who, lets be honest, doesn't like you annnnd you're not going to marry or probably even know in the next 5 years. Everyone makes this mistake, it rarely ends happy-ever-after with a horse and carriage but trust me, you won't care ... at least after a while. 
  • Trying cigarettes. It doesn't make you cool, it isn't big, it isn't clever. Any parents reading this, I'm gaining massive kudos points right now, sorry kids. 
  • Wearing a foundation that is like 7 shades too dark for your skin, no one thinks tram-lines (or slag lines as we called them) are attractive, lets not be silly. 
  • DO NOT RUSH TO LOSE YOUR VIRGINITY.
I think in my 20's I'll start to give back. Give back to my Mam especially, my absolute rock. Give back to my family. They sacrifice a lot for us. Hey, the whole reason I don't want to have kids is because I couldn't handle a mini-me. 

If I have kids I'll be trading shoes and bags for cowgate milk and calpol and "sexy time" ... what TIME? It's all about changing nappies and sitting in playgroups. For the first time in your life, you can't afford to be selfish. Kids come first so plans change. I'm here writing this post meaning my mam and dad must have gave up a lot for me so I should at least try and make them proud. 

Every family has their issues. You don't choose family but they're your back bone. Despite whatever problems you face in a family, they teach you lessons for the future. One day your parents will be gone, tell them you love them, even if you don't mean it, because one day you might mean it and they won't be there to hear you say the words.


You form your opinions, your form your views, you find what you're good at, what you like, you find your voice, some people faster than others but trust me,if I can get to grips with becoming an adult, anyone can.
It just clicks one day.One day I just knew what direction I wanted to head in.I don't know exactly where I'll be in 5 years but I don't think I'd want to. 
Life is full of surprises and I like surprises. I'm comfortable with who I am - God, it only took 20 years but I'm confident now, and I'm happy. 



To any teenagers reading, the worlds isn't out to get you, you won't be listening to My Chemical Romance and All Time Low forever.


The funny thing about being a Teen is that we all go through the same awkward stages. We all try so hard to grow up before our time, everyone tries to fit in but as you get older it all changes, you realise it's okay to stand out and you'd do anything to have the trivial worries you once whined about (especially if you're a student) because growing up is hard.

The biggest thing I over come as a Teen was an eating disorder. It was a weird place I was in and honestly, not many people know about it. The best thing I done was go to University and move out.Id recommend anyone do it, you grow as a person. The hardest, most recent thing I've dealt with as a Teen was my 1st proper relationship. It changed me. For the better in ways, I feel I've matured and again, I've grown but in some ways I feel it broke me and I'm building myself back up again. 

What would I change? Nothing

I loved being a teenager. I can't say it was the best time of my life because I haven't lived my life yet but it was fun. 

Just have a good time. Every teen goes through that weird stage but honestly, life isn't that bad. (I'm not saying bad things don't happen - I'm not that naive, terrible things DO happen) BUT I think if you make it through, you're a stronger person in the end. No one is perfect, don't try to be perfect, just try to be a you that you wake up in the morning and you're happy with. I've said this before but my main goal in life is to be happy. 

If you're a teenager reading this just go out, have fun, make bad decisions, learn from them, don't trust too easily and don't take things too seriously. When it's all over, you'll regret the things you didn't do not the ones that you did. 


I'm going to also say, don't slate your mothers cooking. One day when you move out and can't cook you'll know why. 

Now that I'm 20. It's time for adventure. I read a saying the other day that was something like
 "The world is a book and those who do not travel only read a page."
I want to travel. I want to see the world. 
There's like restaurants in Japan IN THE CLOUDS. You only have to type "places you didn't know existed" in to Google and you're given hundreds of breath taking amazing photos of REAL places THAT EXIST that only a select few ever see. Why wouldn't anyone want to travel?


I've changed my hair so often, I'm excited to see what the future holds for my locks too. 



I'm excited to see what the future holds for my family, for my friends.  



Hardships will come but that's life. 




I look forward to more posts as a responsible, well collected, sophisticated adult. See you's on the other side.