-->

Thursday 25 June 2015

Severly sleep deprived, jet lagged, very emotional, very excited, a hoodie and a bag of makeup down - I've arrived at camp

So I have arrived. Touch down!!
Actually, I arrived last Friday - as promised, it was nothing short of eventful. 
From the beginning then? Well it all started with a big finale night out with pals, that was great ... Until I skipped a nights sleep completely forgetting the next day I was moving out AND moving in. Absolute nightmare. Hungover, still in last nights make up, stressed, trying to clean up our doss house of a student house and bulking all my stuff across the street. The good news? The new house is gorgeous but in the process we were given the wrong keys, had a few arguments, I fell down the stairs and nearly killed myself but overall the move went okay and I had a lovely send off with my friends. NO TEARS. But none the less, very emotional!!


I also had a lovely send off night with family. Very spoilt with lovely gifts and it was nice to see everyone for the last time in a 3 months - again, very emosh - but sadly, that's where all the niceties end. Well, at least for a little while. 




Ended up having a bit of a family feud. Won't go in to detail but spent my final final night in tears, still hadn't packed fully, packed and got ready alone in the morning and went to the airport in tears. Not how I'd pictured my send off but my house mate Matt surprised me and met me at the airport, which was adorable!!  



Case was over by 7kg, ended up scurrying through it on the floor like a big flappy mess, ended up ditching ALL my makeup. ALL MY MAKEUP. Let that sink in. This proves how much of a pickle I was in. 



Anyways, I said bye to everyone via phone in the airport lounge, hopped on a plane from Newcastle to Heathrow and pulled myself together. Soon as I landed in London I felt much much much better - Met some camp Americans, then some more, and more, checked in, grabbed a drink or two (last bevvie for a while) and bought some makeup. Mood = instantly lifted. 



Got lucky on the plane and sat next to a lovely few girls, talked the whole way, made some more friends. The 7 hour journey felt like 2 minutes, I thoroughly enjoyed trecking half way across the world drinking wine, occasionally journeying up and down the plane to stop off and talk to some people I'd met at the airport or just to talk to random people, with endless amounts of food. Possibly one of the funniest journeys I'll ever make. I was certainly cheered up and so so so so so excited to be finally in America. 



Got through customs. Lost my case. Well, someone else had picked mine up and I like an idiot, hadn't put a label or a lock on mine, thinking no one else would ever have the same case as me *very bright and multicoloured* clearly though, someone else had thought the same as me. 



Good job I'm not easily defeated. Managed to get hold of the girl who had my cases number, rang her, turned out she was heading to the same hotel as me. On that note - A NIGHT IN A HOTEL IN NEWYORK!!!!! Buzzing. 



So skipping a little bit - arrived at the grande plaza. AMAZING. Found my case, was the only person there from my camp, got assigned someone elses room - walked in on them still asleep, got new keys, had 3 hours sleep (the only sleep I'd had in the 24 hours) then was back up at 4 to get ready for 6 and then off to Newyork I went.



I took full advantage of the supplies. A very long shower, lots of free soap and conditioner, I felt like I was in heaven. Due to lack of fuel and sleep, I have have started drinking coffee. I have never liked coffee in all my life but now it's a daily ritual ... Guess that's what camp does to you. 



Ended up leaving my favourite hoody at the hotel, little bit gutted about that but the fact I was in america, I wasn't too fazed. Made a pal on the bus to Newyork. New york looks amazing by the way - so EXCITED to go roaming around there. Everything is so big, just like in the films.



The thing about Americans, they really are interesting. I haven't met a "nasty" American yet, everyone is so nice. Not like in England when everyone tries to avoid eye contact and is a bit awkward and very rude like 80% of the time. 



Even the homeless people are friendly. One in Newyork came up and started chanting a prayer for us followed by a big ass speech and called me beautiful. Another tried to sell us crack but, k'know. 



Everyone talks. I love it. As you know I love to talk. I love England because we are very sarcastic and love nothing better than a good, old, jolly, alcohol fueled session but America, so far atleast, is a breathe of fresh air. It has a totally different vibe. 50% absolute busy rush and 50% pure. It's an amazing place, and I've only been in a small, small, small, tiny percentage of it. I could definitely see myself here in the future. 



Anyhow, I said farewell to my bus pals, met some people from my camp, again - hilarious - got on a very long bus journey together - then another long car journey - then eventually I WAS AT CAMP.



Severely sleep deprived, jet lagged, very emotional, very excited, a hoodie and a bag of makeup down, I was here. The camp is beautiful, I'll post more in my next post about camp itself but I just know this summer is going to be my best, most challenging and most rewarding one yet. Really excited!!



America is all about following your dreams and I don't think I could be in a better camp to be able to do that. I'm proud of my journey so far.



Genuinely, it really has been blood, sweat and tears. But I'm here and I love it.



Missing everyone at home but also loving my new life in PA very much!



Stay tuned!!